The Night that Changed New Landia, (Part 4)



The Night that Changed New Landia


Written by the
Polliwog Pages Rockland Library Students
(Oliver, Dominic, Gabriel, Gloria, Elizabeth, Sena,
Genevieve, Sadie, Jacinta, Evelyn, Eliot)



Part Four
"Lost"

After dropping off mail at three more houses, I headed toward the lower mountains on the other side of the island. It was getting later, and the shadows getting darker as evening approached.

I always spend the night with Grampa Don Hayward. He was one of the first settlers of New Landia. Once the new-comers began building the city and roads and such, he took to the hills. He lives there alone – well, he’s got two of orphaned grandchildren with him, Emily and John.

The children have only been with him a few months. John misses the cars and trucks in the city, but is adjusting fairly well, especially when his grandfather lets him drive the old truck. Emily is having trouble getting used to life in the woods. She misses her friends at school, but she has Livie, her house cat that is afraid of the woods.

When I pulled in front of the cabin, I saw that it was dark. By late afternoon, they usually have their lamps lit and are getting ready for supper. I thought they might have been out for a walk, so I sat on the porch and waited.

I heard a motor chugging and soon saw John and his grandfather returning with their double cutter skidder and a load of logs.

“Hello, Sam!” John called out. “I knew it was you. I could see your red sneakers a mile away. When I grow up, I want red sneakers, just like you.”

Don Hayward climbed down from his skidder and helped John to the ground. A large dog jumped out, too.

“Good evening.” I stood up to meet them. “I didn’t know you had a dog.”

“We found a tame wolf,” said John. “Grampa Don lets him ride in the tractor because he has clean paws.”

“Where’s Emily? She’s not with you?”

Grampa Don lit a lamp and looked all around the house. “No, she decided to stay home. She said something about marking some maple trees, so we would know which ones to get syrup from next spring.” He walked to the edge of the woods and lifted the lamp. “See. She’s tied a ribbon around this sugar maple tree. “

I lit a lantern, too, and we began tracing Emily’s path by following the pale ribbons around the trees. “Emily! Emily!” Down the mountain, through the dark trees, we walked and walked. One ribbon was tied around two trees that grew close together, but there were no more. “Emily!”

“Grampa! I’m over here,” we heard her call. We scrambled through the bushes and along a rocky stream toward her voice. She lifted her arms up to her grandfather. “I was looking for a smooth stone for my collection and fell on the slippery moss. I can’t move my foot.” Her face was wet with tears, and her leg was covered with mud and blood. John carried the lantern, and between Grampa and me, we carried Emily back up to the cabin.

Grampa gently washed and wrapped her leg in bandages. After both children were finally asleep, Grampa Don and I talked into the night. It had been quite a day for me, and I hoped to get a good night’s sleep, too.

I hadn’t been asleep but about three hours, when I was awoken by a rumbling sound. It wasn’t thunder. The windows and the dishes began rattling. Grampa Don burst into my room. “It’s going to blow! We’ve got to get out of here!




 (to be continued)




If you are between the ages of 4-12,
(or know someone who likes to write stories)
I would like to post your story here.
Send me an email. I'd love to read your story!
Signed,
Wiggles the Polliwog

No comments:

LinkWithin