The Camp-Out




The Camp-Out
by 
Brooke Bickel
(age 14)



Dear Laurel, 

  I am having a camp out with Lilee, Aileen, and Tawny. At Camp Kanesatake. 
June 14 - June 16. It would be great if you could join us.
Tents will be provided. If you can come, could you bring some pancake mix for everyone?     

Your best friend, 
Cadence

Laurel couldn't wait. She loved to be outside. She liked to climb trees, go fishing, and stargaze.  

After a long car ride, her dad finally got to the campground. She stepped out of the car and heard birds chirping. The sun was shining brightly through the trees. On one side, she saw a forest. On the other side, she saw a sparkling river. 
Laurel spotted Cadence by the river sitting at a picnic table. She said "goodbye" to her dad and headed over to say, "hello."

"Hi, Cadence! Where is everyone else?"

"They're at the campsite finishing setting up." She pointed to a path between two tall pines. "Wanna head over?"

"Actually, I need to use the restroom." 

"Okay. "


After being relieved, Laurel looked around for Cadence, but she wasn't there. Laurel thought she must have gone ahead, so she gathered her baggage and set off for the trail.

When she got to fork in the road, she set her bags down and took a quick drink of water. I wonder which path I should take. The one on the right looks a little overgrown. The one on the left looks more used. I think I'll take the left path. The sun was just beginning to set, and the trees hanging over the path made it look dark. I better hurry. I don't want to get stuck in the dark.  All by myself.  Alone.  An owl hooted. Suddenly, a twig snapped. Cautiously, Laurel scanned her surroundings.  Seeing nothing she shouldered her bags and continued down the darkening path. 

Suddenly, she saw something out of the corner of her eye. She stopped and made sure her eyes weren't playing tricks on her. They weren't. Laurel's feet couldn't move as she watched the shadowy figure step from tree to tree coming closer and closer. Suddenly she couldn't see it anymore. Where did it go? Should I hide or run for help? Should I just stay where I am and hope it didn't see me? 

"BOOOOO!!!"

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! CADENCE YOU SCARED ME!"


" Sorry, I wouldn't let you get lost. I wouldn't want you to miss out on the s'mores."

(Assignment for Basic Writing Lesson #12 - Climax)


If you are between the ages of 4-12,
(or know someone who likes to write stories)
I would like to post your story here.
Send me an email. I'd love to read your story!
Signed,
Wiggles the Polliwog

No comments:

LinkWithin